Important information that has just recently come to my attention:
Because of the SIGNIFICANT impact on Franktown’s water, traffic, etc., I want to send you this information so that you may go to the next hearing on this and support OUR NEIGHBORS, the deeply concerned citizens of Elizabeth and Elbert County. Our neighbors are fighting a rezoning and development application that will bring serious problems for them, and for us. This development will come right up to the Eastern edge of Franktown!
HERE’S WHAT’S GOING ON:
Quoted from the rezoning and development application:
“The Applicant, Jim Marshall, on behalf of the owners: BK2, LLC and MF Investment Partners, LLC requests approval to rezone 425.9 acres located south of Highway 86 and immediately east of Legacy Ridge Street (CR 3) from A-1, Agriculture to Planned Unit Development (PUD) to accommodate residential, regional commercial, mixed use commercial, public and semi-public land uses. . . .
The applicant is proposing to rezone the subject property from A-1 to PUD for future development. There will be a maximum of 623 dwelling units within the PUD. Residential densities range from 2 dwelling units per acre (SFe, 18%) with these lower densities around the perimeter of the property which are all buffered by open space. The higher densities of 4.5 dwelling units per acre (SFd, 37%) are in the interior areas of the property as indicated on the Elizabeth West – PUD Development Plan. A total of 55% will be residential uses. Regional Commercial uses are proposed in the northwest corner of the property which encompasses 2.8% of the site. The proposed uses will follow the Town of Elizabeth Municipal Code and may include large scale commercial enterprises including retail, restaurants, entertainment, convenience retail and professional offices and services including those which are permitted by special review. Commercial Mixed uses are proposed south of Highway 86 about the midpoint of the north property line and at the west property line, south of the Regional Commercial area. CMU accounts for 5.2% of the property and uses allowed will follow the Town of Elizabeth Municipal Code. Uses may include small scale retail, professional offices and services, town facilities, live/work developments, higher density residential and commercial accommodations that promote pedestrian activity. The location of the CMU provides a transition between a limited group of uses of a commercial nature and lower density residential areas. Open Space and Trail Corridors (OS) account for 25% of the property. Trails will include waysides that will incorporate picnic areas, static outdoor exercise equipment and single-track bike areas. Park and Recreation areas are another 3.6% of the property. These areas will provide passive and active open space uses that will separate, define, and protect the development planning areas within Elizabeth West. The primary park within Elizabeth West is 10 acres and located central to the development and provides access to the open space system.”
First, a Planning Commission hearing was held to determine whether or not to recommend the town council approve this application. The significant problems this rezoning and development will cause were brought up in that Planning Commission hearing by very concerned citizens (see extensive list in link provided below), but the Commission still recommended the town council approval this application in a 3 to 1 vote.
The Town Council held a hearing at the town hall just this last Tuesday, October 25th. The citizens showed up to oppose this development and rezoning. Because of the questions and the pressure from the citizens, there was a motion to continue the development application for rezoning to November 15th !
NOTE: THE QUOTED LANGUAGE ABOVE IS COPIED FROM THE TOWN RECORD. THE LINKS WITH FULL INFORMATION ON ALL OF THIS AND MAPS SHOWING THE EXACT AREA ARE INCLUDED HERE BELOW.
https://mccmeetings.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/elizco-pubu/MEET-Packet-e8929f41c6404f68b13dd94eca080542.pdf (Rezoning Packet)
Lots of visual maps in the back of the packet.
Please show up on November 15th for Franktown and to support our neighbors. We are all in this fight together.